24 May 2013

South Coast Australia

Sorry it's taken me a month to write something about what I did during the break in April, I've been busy as well as been bludgering (procrastinating).  This is probably going to be short and to the point because of that....

So on the 9th, I took the train down to Melbourne, and a little more than 17hrs later, I arrived in Southern Cross Station.  It was a pretty boring train, nothing much to do but sleep.  After I got the Melbourne, I walked to my hostel... and got quite lost along the way (I should have just listened to the guy and not got confused by the signs).  But I made it after a while and went out and explored the beautiful city.

I ended up just wandering around the CBD, and checking things out there.  I stumbled down Bourke St. Mall, which is now one of my favourite places to be in general, and caught some busking acts, staying and watching one - Woodlock - every time they played and staying for the whole set.  It was amazing.  I missed a little of it because Comedy Fest. was on, too, and I was checking out some of the free comedy shows down the way for a bit, too.  But everything was good.

The day after, while I planned on going to St. Kilda to go to the beach and all that, I decided not when I saw that the weather wasn't going to be nice.  So I wandered around again, deciding to go see an exhibit at the ACMI about screens, which was really cool.  And it was completely free, which makes it even better.  I also saw Woodlock again, which was just awesome, because they were so good the day before I was glad to be able to see them again.  And I saw another group busking just down the street, and they were great, too.  Pierce Brothers - the one tapped his drumsticks on everything and anything he could to get a cool and authentic sound, and he played the didgeridoo, which sounded really cool.

The day that followed, I went on a tour down the Great Ocean Road, through the Grampians, and to Adelaide for three days.  In no particular order, we saw lots of rocks, took tons of pictures, had a lot of fun, climbed a huge rock, took more pictures, saw a lighthouse, got a song suck in our heads about the lighthouse, went around a round-about like ten times, saw a jeep up a pole, saw two towns in a row completely closed down for the day already (at four pm on a Sunday), listened to music, played a movie song quiz, made yummy food, stood in Victoria and South Australia at the same time, and a whole lot more that I probably won't remember without looking it up (haha).

Went to the Barossa Valley for a wine tour the day that followed, and I found out that I do like some wines (sparkling, port), so now I'm on the lookout for those particular kinds now. haha.  It was a drunken mess for some people (two people from Adelaide), and our tour guide took the blow (he was incredible through it all!).  Afterwards, we all (GOR tour) met up for dinner and got our forgotten cheeses (haha, oops), and had a last night together before most of them headed off to Uluru and I headed off to Kangaroo Island.

Kangaroo Island.  I was almost the only female on that tour, haha, since the other two girls almost missed the tour.  Whatever, anyways, here's what we did in no particular order: took a ferry, saw and climbed Remarkable Rocks (REMARKABLE! haha!), kayaked, took lots of pictures, climbed a large hill, had a campfire, looked at the stars, saw sea-lions, saw New Zealand fur-seals, saw the wild life, had free iced-coffee (first time, haha), had a good time, (I) played DJ on the way back to the city, and lot more.

Adelaide.  Here's what I did (in no particular order, of course): wandered the city, shopped at Rundle St. Mall, went to Glenelg for the beach, illegally road the trams (hahah), went to the chocolate factory (Haigh's! :D ), bought a ton of CDs ( :D ), walked around lost a lot, went to the Adelaide Central Markets for yummy fresh food, and some other stuff that must not matter if I can't remember, haha.

And then I flew back to Sydney, took the train/bus to Bathurst, and was home.  And that is basically my trip in a nutshell.  I met lots of cool people and can't wait to get the chance to go back! :)

Peace and love. xxxx


Pictures (if you're my friend on FB, you can look at these, otherwise it probably won't work) :
Around Melbourne
Great Ocean Road
Grampians
To Adelaide!
Barossa Valley
Kangaroo Island, 1
Kangaroo Island, 2
Spotting Adelaide

Videos:
South Coast Australia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's really the trip in a nutshell!!

Cheers

X

Mieke , and yes the great ocean road was amazing...


[there is no sugar in a spoon.... and sticking your finger in candle wax is hot.... but the flame is even hotter!]

myapplemonkey said...

Ah, good memories! :D xx

Post a Comment

 
;